Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Does anybody else miss shoulder joints?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Evil Monkey Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2004
    Posts
    313
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    I'll start by saying I do. I have full confidence that McFarlane Toys can mske beautiful figures w/ moving limbs and I have seen them do it. If they design the joints in a aesthetically pleasing and anatomically functional matter it won't ruin the sculpt. If you don't like joints that's okay too. If you just want to display a figure as it was originally designed just keep it in its box or leave it in its default pose. I'm just saying this because it's A LOT easier to render joints non-functional w/ glue and spackle (remberber to sand it down and paint it to make it look pretty) than it is to add articulation.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Tortricidae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't mind lack of articulation. I can see why those who do like it would be a bit annoyed, though. Most of the figures that Mcfarlane has been putting out lately are basically statues. The Conan line in particular seems to be that way.

    My big problem with articulation is the weakness that can come with joints. I've had several mcfarlane figures end up with broken joints..and they weren't dropped or even moved around a lot. I also have a number of figures who have floppy joints. It's annoying when a figure starts to look like it's doing squats cause it's always sinking at the knees.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Peter Peeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2004
    Posts
    16,859
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    yes, I do.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member 0193081's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2004
    Posts
    3,000
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    More articulation = greater odds of breaking. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    I actually prefer to get pre-posed figures. I always have trouble finding a good pose for figures, so I enjoy when it's already figured out for me.

    The only time it bothers me is when I think something is slightly off with a pose, and I wish I could change it. Doesn't happen often though.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member StV's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2004
    Posts
    3,493
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Exclamation

    ...you'll be easy to kill and you're only 10 minutes from my house. [img]graemlins/grrr.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member sculpey's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    8,165
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The less movable stuff the better.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member The Mighty Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2004
    Posts
    1,940
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    The more the movable stuff the better, the greater the fun in posing them, and a step closer to what the 'Real' McFarlane toys was all about in the beginning! [img]graemlins/grrr.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img]

    All say it again, I now don't mind less articulation, as long as they do away with all that dynamic poses crap. They take up double or triple the space of a regular figure (Neo's anyone) and they don't look right when you place them next to the older styled figures.

    <font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ September 11, 2004 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Chosen One ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Spore's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2004
    Posts
    2,204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    I only like articulation if it doesn't hinder the look of the fig...

    I don't play with my figs but I do like the ability to pose a fig differently.

    What I do like about alot of other companies' figs are the interchangeable accessories (heads, hands, weapons) which more than make up for lack of poseability... I'll take that over a big fat base any day.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member White Line Nightmare's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2004
    Posts
    1,165
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, I miss the articulation.

    I'm not an articulation freak, but 10-15 useful POA is always welcome.

    Recently, the lack of articulation has been a major factor in me not purchasing more McFarlane stuff. Haven't had a lot of interest in most of the 2004 catalog, and a lot of other companies are offering stuff I really dig.

    C'est la vie.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Evil Monkey Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2004
    Posts
    313
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Arm joints won't neccessarily ruin a figure. Simple cuts or DCD style ball-joints are barely notecible and can easily be glued into place if desired.
    There are a few figures this really bothers me on :
    1.Erin- I've never seen TCM but I'd like a Jessica Biel figure anyway. It's odd that there's no shoulder movement since her tanktop would hide the seems and people pivot their arms back and forth at the shoulders and when running and not side to side at mid-bicep. I'm still getting one in hopes that I can customize it w/o ruining it.
    2.Conan the indomitable- It'd be great if you could pose him w/ his hammer or sword over his head, at a ready position, and all the way down for delivering deathstrokes. Currently he just looks like he's ready to be impaled.
    3.Tremor 3- Aren't his shoulders big enough to conceal ball-joints? I love the sculpt but hate the pose.
    4.Spawn #7- He can't point his guns at anybody?
    I think mainly what my frustration stems from is that there's lots of Spawns every year so I'm bound to find at least one that has a pose I like. The more obscure characters have less of a chance to be produced so I'd really like them to feature the acme of sculpting, acticulation, accessories, and action features (if applicable). Does that sound reasonable?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •